• October 16JH Football plays at home Oct. 22 at 5:30

• October 16Varsity football travels to Sanderson Oct. 16

• October 16District Cross Country Monday, October 19

Are Animals On Par With Humans?

Carly Stanford vs. Joseph Harris

Carly Stanford vs. Joseph Harris

Photo taken by Susan Netopski

Photo taken by Susan Netopski

Carly Stanford vs. Joseph Harris

Carly Stanford vs. Joseph Harris

Photo taken by Susan Netopski
Carly Stanford (left) vs. Joseph Harris (right)

Animal Lives Matter

By Carley Stanford, Staff Writer

For our whole lives growing up, we have been killing for a sport, eating Sonic burgers, and wearing leather clothes. Many bought “pets” at pet shops, put them in cages, or took them to homes where they shouldn’t belong.

People ask the question “Why should we have animal rights?” Don’t you think that all of these actions had an impact on those animals? Do people have to mistreat animals to prove that humans are the dominate species?

I believe that most animals should be in the wild, living on their own, having more rights. They don’t need a human to feed them every day when they can just go out and catch their own food; it’s called the circle of life, and humans are tampering with it.

I also have to wonder: why are some animals treated better than others? Why is it that the dog is the most loved pet in the world while the pig or goat gets used for its bacon and fat? We show pigs in stock shows and sell them to slaughter houses; however, the dog is fed treats and treated with respect (most of the time). Shouldn’t we treat the pig the same as the dog?

Speaking of animals used for food…. Some people think it is okay to use animals just for the meat on them; they live, they die, they are never remembered. Animals live a short life due to being raised as products in slaughterhouses. Walk in their shoes, think about their feelings, have a heart for once.

Would you like to be hunted your whole life? We humans are the reason some animals are extinct, and some of them on the brink of it.  Those who kill with no reason cannot be reasoned with, but I will try my hardest to show killing without a reason is indeed wrong. I’m not talking about hunting for food.  What I’m talking about is killing just for fun.  For instance, what if someone shoots a bird and just laughs and walks away?  The shooter doesn’t realize that the bird has an important part of the ecosystem.  To take its life without using the bird for food afterward is taking it for granted.  We also shouldn’t just kill mountain lions for their fur and teeth; we can use other products to make clothes, such as cotton.

By Joseph Harris, Staff Writer

I don’t understand why our pets and other animals sometimes have better healthcare and more rights than we humans do. I also don’t understand why some people consider it slaughter when you kill an animal for food but when a doctor kills an unborn human child, those same people just call it abortion and the doctor is protected by laws.

As you can tell already, I am against abortion and for pro-life. But my pro-life stance doesn’t extend to all animals. In the Bible, it says that humans are not supposed to treat animals like they are gods and that we are supposed to have dominion over them, not the other way around.

I have actually heard someone ask “what have animals done to us?”and I have more than a couple of examples of what they have done to us. For example, a tiger out in the open can kill us humans without a second thought and we could just be walking around minding our own business.   The tiger sees us as another animal, as prey.  Black bears will also hunt a human down and kill them just because they smell our scent even if we aren’t hunting but just merely camping and enjoying ourselves.

Animals go extinct all the time without humans intervening at all. A good example would be the dinosaurs.  Cave men were around then, and they probably only hunted some dinosaurs for food.  The extinction could have been caused by a meteor but not men.

All in all, animals are here to be used for food and not to be treated like a human, even domesticated animals.  In a dire situation that involved choosing between a pet and a family member, what would most people choose?