• October 16JH Football plays at home Oct. 22 at 5:30

• October 16Varsity football travels to Sanderson Oct. 16

• October 16District Cross Country Monday, October 19

Runners Slip And Slide In Mud At State

Cross Country had a very successful season. State qualifiers included (left to right) sophomore Markus Black, senior michael rodriguez, junior Sammy Reyna, senior Zane Nail, sophomore Carley Stanford, sophomore Matthew Watson,  freshman Calen Fouts, and senior Austin Gaddis.

Photo provided by Madison Clark
Cross Country had a very successful season. State qualifiers included (left to right) sophomore Markus Black, senior michael rodriguez, junior Sammy Reyna, senior Zane Nail, sophomore Carley Stanford, sophomore Matthew Watson, freshman Calen Fouts, and senior Austin Gaddis.

Michaela Sawyers and Carley Stanford

Cross Country slips and slides through mud at state

On Saturday, November 7, the Carley Stanford and the entire Rankin Red Devil boys’ team ran at Round Rock for the State Cross Country meet. The runners had quite a challenge with rainy conditions that left a lot of mud. The runners did manage to get through and do their best.

Before their run, some of the runners and coaches talked about how they felt about making it to State.

“It feels good to make it to state as a team because not a lot of teams make it to state especially in cross country,” said senior Michael Rodriguez.

Coach Karon Martinson also said, “I’m very proud of both boys and girls Red Devil Cross Country teams. Carley did an awesome job making it to state two years in a row; it’s great. The boys made it to state for the first time in school history, which is awesome, and they all ran well throughout the season. We were all optimistic that they would make it because their times would get better and better. So, I’m very proud of both boys and girls group.”

At State, the boys came out in 11th place as a team and Carley Stanford came out 41st overall.

Zane Nail, senior, said, “I feel happy because it’s over, very proud and extremely dirty.”

Stanford, a sophomore, also said, “I feel that I tried my hardest, and it was a fun experience running in the mud and getting to see all the different teams.”

Texas also picked 15 girls for All-State honors, and Stanford was one of them.